What to expect when recovering from implants
You might be wondering how long it will take you to recover from your implant surgery. This brief guide will give you a better idea of what you can expect, along with easy things you can do to speed up recovery.
Prepare for your appointment
Although implant surgery is generally a simple procedure, you can still make your recovery process as easy as possible by preparing in advance so you can kick back, relax and recuperate after arriving home from your appointment.
Depending on your personal situation, your recovery time could be faster or slower. Some items that can affect recovery time include:
- Bone health: Patients with healthy and sufficient bone tissue at the placement site will typically heal faster and experience osseointegration sooner compared to patients whose jawbone is not in optimal condition.
- Oral and general health: The better shape your body and oral health are in, the better prepared you will be to recover quickly.
- Habits and lifestyle: Your diet and exercise routine along with any habits such as smoking can impact your recovery time.
Follow these postop tips for a smooth and easy dental implants recovery:
- Bite down on gauze to control bleeding as instructed by your doctor
- Take the full course of all medications prescribed by your surgeon
- Stay away from heavy exercise or strenuous activities
- Do not be in a hurry to start eating challenging foods and avoid chewing near the surgical site
- Rinse your mouth with warm salt water after meals
- Carefully reintroduce oral health routines such as brushing and flossing
One key to a successful recovery is giving yourself the time you need to rest and focus on your health and well-being. Trying to rush back into your old routines as quickly as possible could impede the healing process.